Sunday 24 March 2013

The Continuing Adventures....

24 March 1813

Dearest Husband,

As you know my plans were to stay in Derby for a few days to allow for repairs to the carriage to be completed. I regret to say, I am still at the hotel in Derby and am growing increasingly impatient to be on my way.

On the second night here there was a most unfortunate incident and, as a result, the local constabulary have asked all of the hotel guests to remain in the City until further notice. As you would expect I am not under any suspicion of wrong doing, but may have unwittingly witnessed something of importance although I can't see how that is possible. 


I was in the restaurant taking supper along with several other guests at the time of the incident, from the floor above the sound of a violin being played could be heard. Suddenly a female scream rang out, the violin music came to an abrupt halt and then came the sound of something hitting the floor rather heavily. Various gentlemen from nearby tables jumped to their feet and hurried from the restaurant and up the stairs, obviously seeking to provide assistance, and I followed with the same intention.


When we reached the room from which the noise had issued it was locked from within, a member of the hotel staff was nearby, they quickly unlocked the door and we rushed in. What I saw will remain in my memory for some time, lying on the floor was a very pale looking lady with what appeared to be a bite mark on her neck. She was quite clearly dead. Next to her on the floor was a violin, scarlet in colour, it lay in stark contrast to the pale skin of the unfortunate lady next to it. 

Naturally the Police were quick to arrive at the scene and the Inspector interviewed everyone in the building. He has confided in me that he is somewhat baffled, it seems that the unfortunate lady had been exsanguinated, but how that had happened in the moments between her scream and our entry into the room is beyond explanation. The Inspector has his task made more difficult in that the entire incident took place in a locked room - there are no suspects.

I hope to leave for Matlock Bath very soon and put this unpleasant business behind me, perhaps you were right and I should have travelled by airship after all.

I remain, as ever, your loving wife

E C-S

No comments:

Post a Comment