Sunday 10 March 2013

Correspondence of Lady Ethel Cog-Sprocket

10 March  1813

Dearest Husband,

As you know I boarded the train late on Thursday night in London to arrive in Birmingham early the next morning; we should have arrived at 6:46 but the train was, as ever, running late. 

Despite my best efforts I am thus far unable to locate the tower, one's efforts are not helped by having no detailed information, as you know my search is based entirely on rumour and hearsay. To add to my confusion the local accent is somewhat difficult to comprehend, which is no assistance at all when seeking directions. I stopped a fellow in the street to ask if he knew the location of Crimson Clock Tower, only for him to reply "Oh it's them y're after is it, good luck ter yer wi' that!" and so saying he walked away with a sly grin on his face, to add insult to injury he turned to look at  me as he rounded a corner and started to laugh!.



I have had a small amount of luck though, one of the serving girls at the hotel asked me if I had visited the city before, I replied that I had not and that I was seeking the elusive Crimson Clocks, having heard tales of their exploits in London I had arrived in Birmingham hoping to see them, if not hear them. It appears that the girl had actually seen them perform in Birmingham some months ago. When asked what kind of music they performed I received the usual infuriating response to which I am rapidly becoming accustomed "Well....it's not really, erm...it's sort of, erm...I'm not really sure". She did allow that she had enjoyed their performance immensely though. The girl also informed me that she had heard (yes I know - another rumour, more hearsay) that they had left Birmingham and were due to be in Matlock Bath on 13th April. 

 I have of course booked a carriage to take me to Matlock Bath, I have never before travelled into deepest darkest Derbyshire and must admit that the thought of the journey fills me with excitement and not a small amount of dread. However, I am determined to succeed in my quest to witness a Crimson Clocks performance.

I have a few days to wait until the carriage departs, and will continue my efforts to locate the tower, I may even succeed before departing for Derbyshire. 

I remain, as ever, your loving wife

E C-S.




No comments:

Post a Comment