Sunday 7 April 2013

Journeys End...

7 April  1813

Dearest Husband,

You will be pleased to learn that I have at last arrived in Matlock Bath and have put the sad incident in Derby behind me, although the case remains a mystery.

As I was preparing to leave Derby I was approached by a lady who enquired if she might share the journey with me. I was glad of the company and, following recent events, was rather doubtful about continuing the journey alone. And so the two of us together with what I took to be her manservant set out towards my destination. 

The manservant was in sharp contrast to the lady in that from her eyes shone a keen intellect, while his were rather dull, in addition while she was rather slim and elegant he resembled a slab of granite that had been squeezed into a suit and topped with a bowler hat. He appeared to be the kind of gentleman that could stroll through a brick wall without a pause in his stride, and not greatly troubled by having a conscience.



At first I felt glad of the protection he could clearly offer, I had overheard muttered conversations of a large hound in the area. Indeed, when people spoke of this black dog they became so nervous they developed a slight stammer. As the journey continued I became increasingly aware of an aura of malevolence about the pair. In fact our conversation lead me to the conclusion that the lady was power mad and intent on gaining wealth and position by use of a variety of unpleasant and devious schemes. 

After what seemed like an eternity we arrived in Matlock Bath and I parted company with the malevolent intellectual and her goon, not a moment too soon I might add. I now have less than a week to wait until I finally get to witness a Crimson Clocks performance. I may even get to meet the man that one day may be Prime Minister as I have heard that Gladstone will also be in attendance. I intend to spend the next few days exploring the thriving Metropolis that is Matlock Bath, the scenery here is magnificent. 

I remain, as ever, your loving wife

E C-S





No comments:

Post a Comment