Sunday 16 December 2012

The Lowest of the Low

Hello,

Welcome to this weeks blog which features an interview with our bass player Colin, hence the title (it refers to him and not the notes he plays, but please don't tell him that).

Firstly there is just time to mention that on the 22nd we will be at A Steampunk Christmas Party in Wakefield with a host of quality steampunk bands and people. We hope to see you there.

And now, the aforementioned interview, Crimson Clocks would like to point out that the opinions expressed below are purely those of the the individual and are not representative of the band.

Name; Colin

Instrument; Bass

Tell me about your musical background;
I joined Crimson Clocks when they first formed as kazoo player, but was rapidly demoted to bass, although I have been told that if I am considered worthy, at some point I may be promoted to roadie. Fame and fortune are a mere lifetime away.

Who or what do you consider to be major influences on your music/playing?
One of the first bass lines I learned was Strutter by KISS, followed by about a dozen or so more of their songs so Gene Simmons, also Paul Simonon from The Clash (and more recently Gorillaz) - I really like the ska/reggae rhythms that he uses. Listening to John Paul Jones and Geezer Butler a lot has possibly also influenced how I play.



Favourite Bands/artists/composers - and why?
The Clash, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and KISS as mentioned above. Metallica, Queens of the Stone Age, Them Crooked Vultures and Primus - I'm a bass player how could I not like Primus?. That also includes Les Claypool's other projects, I think he's kind of the Spike Milligan of music and varies between genius and a good kind of insanity. It's also the variety in what he does, if you listen to Amos Moses, Iowan Gal which he plays on a bass banjo and then Eclectic Electric there is a massive difference in style. He even did a slap bass version of Master of Puppets.

What interests do you have in addition to music?
Strength sports, so powerlifting, weightlifting and strongman competitions. I competed in powerlifting for years, but am just a spectator now. Also I have a love of steam engines and steam power generally, not to the level where I have in-depth knowledge, but I get a real kick out of standing next to them and watching, getting covered in little bits of soot is the only downside to it.

Any interesting facts or stories about yourself that you feel people need to know about about?
I mentioned powerlifting above, I've held British and European championship titles and broken three British records in that.


Luckily the interview ended at that point. Fear not though, it won't be repeated.

So that's all for this week folks, thanks for reading (assuming you made it through the interview unscathed), if you would like to contact us please do so through our Facebook page.

Until next time farewell...




No comments:

Post a Comment